Zika Virus Net is the web resource for anyone interested in Zika virus. Zika virus (ZIKV) is an insect-borne virus, of the flavivirus genus, that is spread by Aedes mosquitoes. The most common symptoms of Zika virus disease (Zika) are fever, rash, joint pain, and red eye. The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting from several days to a week. Severe disease requiring hospitalization is uncommon. The symptoms of Zika are similar to those of dengue and chikungunya, which are diseases caused by other viruses spread by the same type of mosquitoes. Zika virus can be spread from a pregnant woman to her unborn baby. There have been reports of a serious birth defect of the brain called microcephaly and other poor pregnancy outcomes in babies of mothers who were infected with Zika virus while pregnant. On February 1st, 2016, the WHO declared the Zika outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC). As of August 2017 the number of new Zika virus cases in the Americas had fallen dramatically.
The objectives of Zika Virus Net are to be the public and professional information resource for zika fever and to serve as a network in the exchange of information and news related to zika.
- Zika, dengue viruses make victims smell better to mosquitoes - Science
Thu, 30 Jun 2022 15:02 GMT
- Study finds presence of Zika virus in Telangana - Deccan Chronicle
Wed, 06 Jul 2022 04:30 GMT
- New bacteria to take on dengue, zika | Mint - Mint
Wed, 06 Jul 2022 17:38 GMT
- Targeting mosquito spit to halt Yellow Fever, Dengue and Zika - Science Daily
Wed, 08 Jun 2022 07:00 GMT
- She was born in New Jersey with effects of Zika virus. Now her parents can stay in US - NorthJersey.com
Thu, 16 Jun 2022 07:00 GMT
- Zika Virus Testing Market Size 2022, Market Share, Industry Analysis By Future Demand, Top Key-Players, Opportunities, Revenue and Growth Rate Through 2028 – Designer Women - Designer Women
Wed, 06 Jul 2022 13:27 GMT
- Sudden Rise In Malaria Dengue Chikungunya And Zika Cases In Mumbai | TheHealthSite.com - TheHealthSite
Mon, 27 Jun 2022 05:12 GMT
- Zika | Georgia Department of Public Health - Georgia.gov
Mon, 04 Dec 2017 08:00 GMT
- A small mutation can make Zika virus even more dangerous: How outbreaks could happen, even in areas with prior immunity - Science Daily
Tue, 12 Apr 2022 07:00 GMT
- Hebrew U Startup's Viroblock Effective Against Covid Variants, Influenza, Zika, West Nile, Hepatitis - The Jewish Press - JewishPress.com
Wed, 06 Jul 2022 08:45 GMT
- Zika epidemiology update - February 2022 - World Health Organization
Tue, 08 Feb 2022 08:00 GMT
- Zika Virus Information and Prevention - Nashville.gov
Fri, 06 Aug 2021 09:27 GMT
- Mortality from Congenital Zika Syndrome — Nationwide Cohort Study in Brazil | NEJM - nejm.org
Thu, 24 Feb 2022 08:00 GMT
- Mosquitos with potential to cause Zika found in Southeast Iowa - Burlington Hawk Eye
Mon, 02 May 2022 07:00 GMT
- Zika Virus Disease – India - World Health Organization
Thu, 14 Oct 2021 07:00 GMT
- PRO/AH/EDR> Invasive mosquito - France (03): (BT)
Mon, 06 Sep 2021 21:28:53 -0400
Yellow Fever, Zika virus, Dengue, Chikungunya -- France
A potentially deadly mosquito that can carry viruses such as yellow fever and Zika has been spotted in Brittany, northern France, sparking fears they may soon land on British shores. Asian tiger mosquitoes [_Aedes albopictus_] have been confirmed to be in the commune of Domagne in the department of Ile-et-Vilaine in western Brittany.
Health authorities are preparing an intensive campaign to rid the area of the insects with strong insecticides.
The creatures were 1st seen in France in the
- Zika virus-like particle vaccine fusion loop mutation increases production yield but fails to protect AG129 mice against Zika virus challenge Wed, 06 Jul 2022 06:00:00 -0400
Zika virus (ZIKV) is a mosquito-borne flavivirus with maternal infection associated with preterm birth, congenital malformations, and fetal death, and adult infection associated with Guillain-Barré syndrome. Recent widespread endemic transmission of ZIKV and the potential for future outbreaks necessitate the development of an effective vaccine. We developed a ZIKV vaccine candidate based on virus-like-particles (VLPs) generated following transfection of mammalian HEK293T cells using a plasmid...
- Zika virus alters centrosome organization to suppress the innate immune response Wed, 06 Jul 2022 06:00:00 -0400
Zika virus (ZIKV) is a flavivirus transmitted via mosquitoes and sex to cause congenital neurodevelopmental defects, including microcephaly. Inherited forms of microcephaly (MCPH) are associated with disrupted centrosome organization. Similarly, we found that ZIKV infection disrupted centrosome organization. ZIKV infection disrupted the organization of centrosomal proteins including CEP63, a MCPH-associated protein. The ZIKV nonstructural protein NS3 bound CEP63, and expression of NS3 was...
- CDK4/6 inhibition enhances oncolytic virus efficacy by potentiating tumor-selective cell killing and T cell activation in refractory glioblastoma Wed, 06 Jul 2022 06:00:00 -0400
Glioblastoma multiforme (GBM) is among the most aggressive human cancers. Although oncolytic virus (OV) therapy has been proposed as a potential approach to treat GBM, it frequently fails because GBM cells are usually nonpermissive to OV. Here, we describe a dual-step drug screen for identifying chemical enhancers of oncolytic virus in GBM. From a high-throughput screen of 1416 FDA-approved drugs, an inhibitor of CDK4/6 was identified as the top enhancer, selectively increasing potency of two OV...
- The main component of the scent of Senecio madagascariensis flowers is an attractant for Aedes aegypti (L.) (Diptera: Culicidae) mosquitoes Wed, 06 Jul 2022 06:00:00 -0400
Aedes aegypti (L.) (Diptera: Culicidae) is one of the main vectors of arboviruses, including dengue, Zika, and chikungunya. It almost exclusively inhabits urban areas. Both sexes feed on plant carbohydrates, although for males, this is their only food source. In the case of floral nectars, mosquitoes locate plant sugar sources assisted by volatile compounds. In this work, we found that the floral scent of Senecio madagascariensis elicited a behavioral response in males; therefore, we focused on...
- Transcriptome dataset of six human pathogen RNA viruses generated by nanopore sequencing Tue, 05 Jul 2022 06:00:00 -0400
Long-read sequencing (LRS) approaches shed new light on the complexity of viral (Kakuk et al., 2021 ; Boldogkői et al., 2019 ; Depledge et a., 2019 ), bacterial (Yan et al., 2018 ) and eukaryotic (Tilgner et al., 2014 ) transcriptomes. Emerging RNA viruses are zoonotic (Woolhouse et al., 2016 ) and create public health problems, e.g. influenza pandemic caused by H1N1 virus in (Fraser et al., 2009 ), as well as the current SARS-CoV-2 pandemic (Kim et al., 2020 ). In this...
- Zika virus persistence in the male macaque reproductive tract Tue, 05 Jul 2022 06:00:00 -0400
Zika virus (ZIKV) is unique among mosquito-borne flaviviruses in that it is also vertically and sexually transmitted by humans. The male reproductive tract is thought to be a ZIKV reservoir; however, the reported magnitude and duration of viral persistence in male genital tissues vary widely in humans and non-human primate models. ZIKV tissue and cellular tropism and potential effects on male fertility also remain unclear. The objective of this study was to resolve these questions by analyzing...
- Novel microparticulate Zika vaccine induces a significant immune response in a preclinical murine model after intramuscular administration Tue, 05 Jul 2022 06:00:00 -0400
Despite the detrimental effects associated with Zika infection, there are no approved treatments or vaccines available. To address the need for a safe and effective vaccine for Zika, we formulated poly(lactic-co-glycolic) acid (PLGA) polymeric vaccine microparticles (MP) encapsulating the inactivated Zika virus, along with adjuvant MP encapsulating Alhydrogel® and MPL-A®. We characterized the vaccine MP for size, surface charge, morphology, encapsulation efficiency, and antigen integrity....
- Larvicidal Activity of Two Rutaceae Plant Essential Oils and Their Constituents Against Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae) in Multiple Formulations Tue, 05 Jul 2022 06:00:00 -0400
Aedes albopictus (Skuse) is a vector of several arboviruses, such as dengue, chikungunya, West Nile, and Zika viruses. At present, the use of synthetic insecticides is the main vector control strategy. However, the widespread and long-term use of insecticides has aroused several problems, including insecticide resistance, environmental pollution, and non-target species effects, thereby encouraging researchers to search for new alternatives derived from natural products. In recent decades,...
- Transformation of Amphiphilic Antiviral Drugs into New Dimensional Nanovesicles Structures Tue, 05 Jul 2022 06:00:00 -0400
Improved techniques were applied to formulate drugs into dimensional nanostructures, doped "nanovesicles". These nanovesicles are solely composed of self-assembled amphiphilic antiviral agents used for the treatment of viral infections caused by flaviviruses, such as Zika virus. Studies were done to evaluate the effectiveness of the syntheses, formation, and performance under different experimental conditions, and behavior of the drug nanovesicles in vitro and in vivo. These studies demonstrated...
- Human Testicular Germ Cells, a Reservoir for Zika Virus, Lack Antiviral Response Upon Zika or Poly(I:C) Exposure Tue, 05 Jul 2022 06:00:00 -0400
Zika virus (ZIKV) is an emerging teratogenic arbovirus that persists in semen and is sexually transmitted. We previously demonstrated that ZIKV infects the human testis and persists in testicular germ cells (TGCs) for several months after patients' recovery. To decipher the mechanisms underlying prolonged ZIKV replication in TGCs, we compared the innate immune response of human testis explants and isolated TGCs to ZIKV and to Poly(I:C), a viral RNA analog. Our results demonstrate the weak innate...