Zika Virus Net is the web resource for anyone interested in Zika virus. Zika virus (ZIKV) is an insect-borne virus, of the flavivirus genus, that is spread by Aedes mosquitoes. The most common symptoms of Zika virus disease (Zika) are fever, rash, joint pain, and red eye. The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting from several days to a week. Severe disease requiring hospitalization is uncommon. The symptoms of Zika are similar to those of dengue and chikungunya, which are diseases caused by other viruses spread by the same type of mosquitoes. Zika virus can be spread from a pregnant woman to her unborn baby. There have been reports of a serious birth defect of the brain called microcephaly and other poor pregnancy outcomes in babies of mothers who were infected with Zika virus while pregnant. There is no cure for the disease. Treatment is focused on relieving the symptoms. On February 1st, 2016, the WHO declared the Zika outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC).
The objectives of Zika Virus Net are to be the public and professional information resource for zika fever and to serve as a network in the exchange of information and news related to zika.
- Zika outbreak in northern India state exceeds 100 cases
Mon, 22 Oct 2018 07:51 GMT
- Mothers of babies afflicted by Zika fight poverty, despair
Sun, 21 Oct 2018 20:53 GMT
- Zika virus: 105 treated out of 120 people tested positive, says Rajasthan health minister
Tue, 23 Oct 2018 03:49 GMT
- Zika spreads rapidly in India, with 94 cases confirmed
Wed, 17 Oct 2018 13:36 GMT
- Royal Tour: No Fiji schedule change for Harry and Meghan despite Zika virus
Mon, 22 Oct 2018 19:16 GMT
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry to Visit Countries at Risk for Zika Virus
Thu, 18 Oct 2018 18:22 GMT
- WHO says Zika risk low in Pacific ahead of Meghan visit
Fri, 19 Oct 2018 13:50 GMT
- 25 Pregnant Women Infected with Zika in Rajasthan, India
Thu, 18 Oct 2018 21:56 GMT
- New approach for controlling dengue fever and Zika virus
Thu, 18 Oct 2018 13:25 GMT
- What is the Zika virus risk of Meghan's visit to Fiji and Tonga?
Mon, 15 Oct 2018 12:20 GMT
- Why it's so hard to diagnose Zika
Wed, 17 Oct 2018 05:38 GMT
- Duchess of Sussex covers up as royal couple arrive in Zika-hit Fiji
Tue, 23 Oct 2018 04:19 GMT
- Barbados is free of active Zika transmission
Sun, 21 Oct 2018 22:18 GMT
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Will Travel to Zika-Affected Countries While Expecting Their First Child
Mon, 15 Oct 2018 15:41 GMT
- Zika Cases Rise; Baby Born With Zika 'syndrome'
Wed, 17 Oct 2018 11:40 GMT
- PRO/AH/EDR> Chikungunya (06): Africa (Sudan) mixed outbreak
Mon, 08 Oct 2018 23:31:26 -0400
Chikungunya -- Sudan
The Federal Ministry of Health in recent times has informed WHO of an outbreak of chikungunya that has affected eastern states. To date, a total of 13 430 suspected cases were reported from the country, primarily from Kassala and Red Sea state. Samples have been tested both by PCR and by serology. A number of samples have also been tested positive for dengue fever.
Chikungunya is a mosquito-borne viral disease. It can be easily be mistaken for other arboviral diseases such as dengue or Zika