Zika Virus Net is the web resource for anyone interested in Zika virus. Zika virus (ZIKV) is an insect-borne virus, of the flavivirus genus, that is spread by Aedes mosquitoes. The most common symptoms of Zika virus disease (Zika) are fever, rash, joint pain, and red eye. The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting from several days to a week. Severe disease requiring hospitalization is uncommon. The symptoms of Zika are similar to those of dengue and chikungunya, which are diseases caused by other viruses spread by the same type of mosquitoes. Zika virus can be spread from a pregnant woman to her unborn baby. There have been reports of a serious birth defect of the brain called microcephaly and other poor pregnancy outcomes in babies of mothers who were infected with Zika virus while pregnant. On February 1st, 2016, the WHO declared the Zika outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC). As of August 2017 the number of new Zika virus cases in the Americas had fallen dramatically.
The objectives of Zika Virus Net are to be the public and professional information resource for zika fever and to serve as a network in the exchange of information and news related to zika.
- A Zika virus envelope mutation preceding the 2015 epidemic enhances virulence and fitness for transmission - pnas.org
Mon, 03 Aug 2020 20:22 GMT
- New System Tracks and Forecasts Outbreak Risk of Dengue and Zika - State of the Planet
Tue, 04 Aug 2020 15:58 GMT
- Researchers uncovered the Zika virus mutation responsible for quick spread, birth defects - EurekAlert
Mon, 03 Aug 2020 19:02 GMT
- University of Texas researchers find mutation that led to 2015-2016 Zika outbreak - Homeland Preparedness News
Wed, 05 Aug 2020 11:41 GMT
- PNAS Papers on Zika Mutation, Inherited Hearing Loss, Bird Sources of Epidemic Influenza Segments - GenomeWeb
Tue, 04 Aug 2020 16:42 GMT
- Zika May Have Damaged More Infants' Brains Than Expected - U.S. News & World Report
Tue, 07 Jul 2020 07:00 GMT
- New system monitors, forecasts outbreak risk of dengue, Zika and other Aedes-borne diseases - News-Medical.Net
Wed, 05 Aug 2020 02:48 GMT
- Fat-Based Molecules are Key to Zika Virus Infection - Newswise
Fri, 31 Jul 2020 13:07 GMT
- Risk of Zika virus transmission from mother to unborn child much higher than expected - UCLA Newsroom
Mon, 27 Jul 2020 07:00 GMT
- Drug reduces zika virus replication and protects developing mouse pups - Drug Target Review
Tue, 21 Jul 2020 07:00 GMT
- In defence mode: This is how Zika virus protects key parts of its genome - Phys.org
Thu, 30 Jul 2020 15:19 GMT
- Measuring tape is a critical tool for following Zika virus-exposed children - Science Daily
Tue, 07 Jul 2020 07:00 GMT
- Estimation of mosquito-borne and sexual transmission of Zika virus in Australia: Risks to blood transfusion safety. - Physician's Weekly
Thu, 16 Jul 2020 07:00 GMT
- Climate change may push Zika virus into southern and eastern Europe - New Scientist News
Wed, 08 Jul 2020 07:00 GMT
- Kephera Diagnostics Wins $2M SBIR Grant From NIAID to Develop Zika Virus Antibody Test - 360Dx
Thu, 23 Jul 2020 07:00 GMT
- PRO/AH/EDR> Zika virus (04): Americas, Asia, research, comment
Mon, 13 Jul 2020 12:26:09 -0400
Zika virus -- Worldwide/Unknown
Aguiar RS, Pohl F, Morais GL, et al. Molecular alterations in the extracellular matrix in the brains of newborns with congenital Zika syndrome. Sci Signal. 2020; 13(635): eaay6736. doi:10.1126/scisignal.aay6736;
 African lineage comes to Brazil
Date: Mon 1 Jun 2020
Source: Int J Infect Dis. 96:579-581 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijid.2020.05.090 [edited]
ref: Kasprzykowski JI, Fukutani KF, Fabio H, et al. A recursive sub-typing screening surveillance
- Human virus detection with graphene-based materials.
- Insights on Zika virus envelope gene conservation in American outbreaks.
- Chemical Variation and Pharmacological Properties of Dyssodia decipiens Essential Oil.
- Evaluating Over-the-Counter Household Insecticide Aerosols for Rapid Vector Control of Pyrethroid-Resistant Aedes aegypti.
- Modeling the suppression dynamics of Aedes mosquitoes with mating inhomogeneity.
- Nanotechnology-based antiviral therapeutics.
- Integrated pipeline for the accelerated discovery of antiviral antibody therapeutics.
- Infectious disease, public health, and politics: United States response to Ebola and Zika.
- Immune outcomes of Zika virus infection in nonhuman primates.
- A Zika virus envelope mutation preceding the 2015 epidemic enhances virulence and fitness for transmission.